Jaw pain and headaches can really get you down
Do you get headaches? Headaches that just won’t go away? Even migraines? Do you wake up with tight neck muscles and then your headaches start?
Something that many people overlook as a possible cause of this pain is their teeth and jaws. Maybe you clench your teeth when stressed, or grind them when you are sleeping. A lot of the time we are unaware of what we are doing with our teeth. We definitely notice them when we eat, or have a specific tooth pain, but what about the rest of the time? Maybe they are what is the root of your pain….
TMJ (temporomandibular joint) pain, also known as TMD, is something you can have checked out at your dentist. They will be able to discuss your symptoms and look at options to try to relieve them and hopefully rid you of your headaches!
The main symptom of TMJ/TMD is pain in the jaw joint. This is found just in front of your ear, and pain associated with TMJ/TMD may involve the face, eye, forehead, ear, or neck. Other symptoms of TMJ/TMD include the following:
- Popping/clicking of the jaw
- Ear pain, or sounds of cracking in the ears
- Ringing or popping sounds in the ears (tinnitus) or a sense of fullness in the ears
- Headaches and/or migraines
- Blurred vision
- Locking or dislocation of the jaw (usually after widely yawning), referred to as lockjaw
- Sore jaws, especially at the joint (in front of your ear)
- Sinus problems,
- Neck and back pain,
- Your teeth do not feel like they are biting together properly,
- Pain when chewing or yawning, or opening and closing your jaw
- Limited opening of the jaws
These are all symptoms of something we can work towards fixing. Let’s do it together.
Dr Stephen Iskander has recently completed training in the latest methods of treatment for TMJ. This latest development is allowing patients all around the world to rid themselves of TMJ headaches and pain! The Dental Place in Reservoir is excited to be able to join in and start ridding you all of your headaches. If you have any of the symptoms listed and want to come and see Dr Iskander, please call us on 03 9460 7070 and make an appointment. We’ll see you as soon as possible so we can start you on your road to being headache free!
Like our Facebook page to keep up with information on headaches and jaw pain – https://www.facebook.com/thedentalplc/